Tuesday, October 27, 2009

The New Student Continued

I know I mentioned the new student a couple weeks ago and how interesting it was watching her transition to the classroom. She has continued to amaze me since then. Just in the past week the student has opened up so much, it is like she is a completely different child. Her mom told us that she has stopped crying in the morning when they get to the school. The student has also started walking in to the school rather than being held by her mother. It is so neat to see her come running into our classroom with a smile on her face. She looks so confident!

Another amazing thing we have seen is the student open up verbally. She is trying to talk to us now and repeat the different things we say. The other day she repeated me when I said "water," "on," and "off." She was actively taking part in the hand washing process and she was really overjoyed!

She has brought a smile to my face each day especially when we are changing her diaper. The past couple of days she has started laughing at the changing table after lunch time. She just starts laughing and can't stop, it is like someone told her this great joke. It is so funny!

Finally one interesting thing I have seen the student do is she will hold my hand. Up to this point whenever we would hold her hand she would not hold our hand back. Her hand would just sit there loosely in our hand. This past week she held my hand back. I didn't realize it at first, but I was so excited when I realized what she was doing.

It has been wonderful watching her grow!

2 comments:

  1. I am so glad to hear of this child's progress. If you haven't already chosen an older child and you'd like to use her for your case study analysis that would be fine with me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Meg, what a rewarding experience! One of the students in my classroom is beginning to come around as well. Although she does not seem to be coming around as quickly as the student in your program, my student has come a large way since the first day of school in which she cried all day long. I definitely know the rewarding feeling that can come even from the progress of hand holding. It makes you feel like you have accomplished something and helped they grow developmentally.

    ReplyDelete