Thursday, November 5, 2009

Wow

I had a student in my class who was absolutely AMAZING. He was only 16 months old, but he was an extremely intelligent little boy! He would remember peoples names after meeting them just once. He could name a lot of the teachers at school. He also knew the names of all his fellow classmates. He knew the name of one of our little girls older sister too! He really surprised me one time at lunch, we were having sandwiches with honey mustard for them to dip their sandwiches in. He had run out of dip so he said, “Can I have more dip please?” I was shocked! All the other kids around him were saying either, “dip” or “dip please.” None of them were using full sentences, except for this one student. He was always surprising me! Such an amazing student!

2 comments:

  1. Meg, I love hearing stories like this! There are so many times in my class where my children amaze me as well and it is such a wonderful feeling to have. Just last week I was talking to one of my 2 year olds on the playground and I realized that I was having a real conversation with her and that she was speaking in full sentences as well. I was shocked! Usually my students speak in phrases as well and it was such a neat thing to see how far she had come since the beginning of the school year.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Meg,
    The other day, a teacher told me about a student in her class that is reading at age 4. He can read just about any book, and he will tell you what he read. But, the student does not now know how to fix his clothes. I think he may have some autistic characteristics. Children with Autism tend to be strong in a particular area. I know because I have an Autistic son, and he started reading at age 4 too. However, he could not tell me what he read. Now, he is 18 and is doing well in school.

    ReplyDelete