Monday, November 30, 2009

Rewards in the Classroom

In the classroom I observed the teacher provided many different "rewards" for the kids. Whenever a student did a good job the teacher made sure to offer a verbal reward, such as "great job" or "good try." The students can also earn "smart cookies." They earn these any time they display exceptional behavior. Students get to write their names on a little cookie and put them on a bulletin board. As a class the students are rewarded with pom poms. If they get a certain number of pom poms they get an ice cream party. Also above each section of desks is a laminated filmstrip. The students can earn clips to attach to their filmstrips if their section is being quiet or if they have followed the rules. That reminds me of another verbal reward the teacher gives the students, and that is acknowledgement. She will point out a specific student and say, "Maggie I am very impressed with the way that you put your journal away like I asked." I like that she focuses on that one student. You can really see a child light up when the teacher points them out for doing something positive. It's great!

1 comment:

  1. Meg! I absolutley love positive reinforcement! I even think about how good it can feel at any age. For example if your boss comes up to you and tells that you are doing a great job or have done an excellent job at something, even at 23 I need this positive reinforcement to know that I am doing a great job and it makes me feel so great to hear it from someone who's opinion I really value. I am sure that this teacher makes her students feel excellent with all of the reinforcement and allows them to think that they can do anything! What a great story!

    ReplyDelete