Thursday, November 5, 2009

Saying Goodbye

Recently I left my job with the Children’s Center, I am now working for the Girl Scouts as a Program Specialist. I did not realize how attached I had gotten to the kids in my class, at the Children’s Center, until my last few days at the school. It was an amazing experience watching how much the kids grew since August.

Two of my students were not able to walk when they first started the class. One quickly picked up on walking after about a week of being in the classroom. The other student learned a few weeks after that. He was gone for a long weekend and when he came back that Monday he was practically running everywhere.

One of my students would freak out when we put her in a chair to eat, or tried to put a big on her, or put her in the buggy. So we had to ease her into things. We would put her in a chair to eat, but we would not push her to the table right away. We let her get used to sitting in the chair. Once the food was ready we would push her to the table, then we would put her bib on her. We would tell her “You have to wear your bib” of “all your friends are wearing bibs.” She eventually grew comfortable with both the chair and the bib. She also warmed up to the buggy after she realized she kind of liked buggy rides.

Other kids in my class have started talking so much more since August, not all of it makes sense but they are at least trying! Three of our kids were able to “graduate” from our class and move up to the next age group. It was a wonderful experience working with those kids! They brought joy to my life each day… never a dull moment!

1 comment:

  1. Meg, I completely understand how you feel. I am so attached to my children that I think it is going to be one of the hardest parts of teaching for me as they move on to another teacher and another class. I feel the same way about being there with them and for them as they have accomplished and learned so many things and you feel like you are such a big part of their lives and that they are such a big part of your life as well. I know when my class leaves to move on to the next grade I am going to feel the same way!

    ReplyDelete